Friday, June 19, 2009

The Good and the Bad

I am now 1 year post RPAO and 5 months post LPAO and all in all I feel good. Normally here in Utah we get 5 days of measurable rain in June, but this year we have had 15 days already, and it is only June 19th. The rain really makes me ache, but the ache is mostly where the screws are so I definitely want them taken out. I can do anything and everything I want to do except run, but that doesn't really count because I don't want to run, and never have. I have fallen off the exercise wagon for the past couple of weeks, but that is just being overwhelmed at work with the start of summer more than anything painful. I am going to start again on Monday to work out so we'll see how that goes.

Now the bad. Once my hips were realigned the knee issues I have had my entire life began to flair up. I have put way more than my 36 years on these knees. I think I have put enough wear on them for a 60 year old man, and I walk like one according to my friends. Now that the hips are fixed and the knees thought they would come out and say hi, I decided it was rime to see a doc about them. The doc came highly recommended and he knows Dr Peters, my hip doc. He is also familiar with the hip surgeries I had so that is a bonus. He checked my knees, felt the grinding under the kneecap, then felt how tight the tendons on the outside of my knee were. He told me he wasn't expecting me to be a surgery case because usually when it is a female in their 30's complaining of both knees hurting it is a pt issue, but I am not. He asked if I wanted to start with one knee or do them both at the same time and I told him I wanted both so I didn't have to go through it again. The goal is to clean up all of the damaged cartilage, fix the meniscus tear he thinks is in there, and release the tendon on the outside. He won't know until he gets in there and sees the damage if there is anything else he will need to do. The amazing thing is the timing on the whole knee issue. I called for an appointment and got in with 10 days. At that appt he told me about surgery and scheduled a date- July 2nd. That is only 15 days after I first saw him. The day after seeing him I was in my preop visit. That is a really fast office. Oh well, the sooner the better. I will post when I get more info.

1 comment:

-D. said...

Oh geez Shelley, just when you thought you were done with all this stuff! Sorry to hear about another surgery, I pray for you that it will be the last and you'll live happily ever after!